Friday, May 25, 2007

May 22 - (Yes, I know, again) The First Morning

We’re here…oh my! The apartment, the office and the beachHoly crap I am in AFRICA!!! So it has finally set in. We are really in Africa. It’s super hard to believe but trust me the culture shock is apparent. Waking up in a new place is always strange but when you are awoken by roosters, dogs and really bad music it’s a whole new experience.
Since we have to turn the generator off when we got to bed we don’t have neither power at night (so no fans and stinkin hot sleeping) nor in the mornings (so no lights). It’s definitely strange and makes me appreciate home more and more each minute.

How do I describe the ‘flat’…ghetto! I have since confirmed with Nana (our host team-mate) that I am not just a white gal with snobby needs but that our flat is truly ghetto even for a developing country. His face was priceless especially when he checkout out the kitchen. The living room and bedrooms are fine aside from the lack of power when the noisy generator is off.

The sketchy part is the bathroom and kitchen. As Bryce would say, I have earned my ADP ‘stripes’ for this one. I don’t think we’ll even attempt to go into the kitchen for now. There isn’t much in there, no fridge and a tired looking stove, so no big loss. It would be nice to eventually cook for ourselves but we shall see.

The bathroom is tiny and grungy! The shower has two settings, on and off, and one temperature, cold, which let me tell you is amazing after a night of sweating away. I am actually quite proud of myself for managing to sleep. I suppose the heat during the day is enough to knock me out. All this to say I think we’ll be moving by the end of the week. Just need to find somewhere else.


The office is so super cool. We can walk from where we are living and that’s probably my favourite part of the day. The people are super friendly especially when they see where we are going. It’s HOT though and by the time we get to work we’re drenched. Our office is a portable in the parking lot of the gated compound. It’s just the three of us and has all the comforts of home, internet, A/C, hot water for tea and biscuits! It’s amazing how fast you can get directly to work when there is work to be done and it’s nice to have something familiar amongst all this change.

We set off after work to Family Fun Kingdom for dinner on the beach in Aberdeen. Aberdeen is really the tourist centre (if you could say they have one) and a hangout for most of the ex-pats. FFK has a lovely patio across the street from the beach where we enjoyed coke in glass bottles and I ate the tenderest and moist barracuda steak I have ever tasted! Delish! Don’t worry…I am remembering: Cook it, Peel it or Leave it! So far so good with the tummy too…knock on wood.

After dinner and the purchasing of some rather sketch DVDs we headed home to our castle. Tonight I used the mosquito net for the first time and it’s rather cool to be living in a tent. Makes me feel safe. One thing about this place I can say is that they take safety VERY seriously. Our flat is fully gated and complete with barbed wire. . It has two doors, one of steel with many locks. Trust me, no one is getting in here! Off to bed. Still taking calmness in remembering that it’s one moon we are all under. Even if I get to see it 4 hours early!

No comments: