Monday, May 14, 2007

May 14, 2007 – MarthaG and Hockey…what could be better?

To say I was overcome with emotion when the coach containing my friend Martha pulled up at the Woking train station would be an understatement. The moment I saw the bus I realized just how much I miss home. It was so tremendous to welcome Martha to Woking!

We had a low-key day on Saturday just wandering the city and shopping for food goodies. I showed Marth the martian and the mall and…well there isn’t much else to see around here. She even got to meet the other ADPers, Laura and Houman and Laura’s bfd Bryce. We chatted and napped and made delicious dinner and watched my current favourite tv show (the search for the new Joseph on London’s West End complete with Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber) and then sat through the sometimes painful Eurovision song contest. Some songs were tremendous…some were tremendously hideous. The countries perform and then the viewers vote. The trick is that you can’t vote for your own country. After hours of revealing the votes country by country Serbia took the crown. A very interesting experience and a perfect day if you ask me.

Sunday morning we got up bright and early to head into the rainy city and find Martha’s hotel. We checked her in and wandered around the city including Soho, Camden and Covent Garden. It was a lovely ‘agenda free’ day complete with fun purchases (polka dot Wellingtons for M). Our only plan was to get to the Maple Leaf bar to watch the hockey game from the night before.

The Maple Leaf was tremendous. A bar full of Canadians (Sens fans!), Canadian beers (Sleeman and Moosehead) and Canadian food (poutine and pancakes)! Carefully trying to avoid reading texts from Jay regarding the game’s outcome we cheered the Sabres on through the game and an OT period. Unfortunately I had to head back to Woking so we left after that knowing deep down that the Sens would win by one despite the first Sabres’ goal was called back (hmmm….can you say cheap?!!? and yes, I am just like Mr Ruff!).

Made it home and happily to bed. Dinner with Marth on Tuesday and then perhaps another hockey game on Saturday before I pack up for my journey to Africa…and yes, I am nervous!

1 comment:

Christie said...

I do REALLY hope you ate some poutine. I think that will be harder to find once you are in Africa!

I'm sad I missed good times with you and Martha - but so happy you two got to spend the weekend together!

Miss you!