Monday, April 30, 2007

April 29 - Extreme Weekend!

So this weekend took a few turns and was definitely a way to experience polar opposite crowds in London.

Friday I moved back to the flat on Grovesnor. It’s so nice to have a home for three weeks and I have completely unpacked and bought groceries. Groceries are GLORIOUS! I will never take them for granted again. I home is a wonderful thing…even when it’s someone else’s.

So, Friday night Susan and I headed to the city to meet Zee and her parents to go to the symphony at Royal Albert Hall (which btw is across from the Albert Memorial…who knew). I was certainly looking forward to it as Mahler Symphony #5 on the programme and I, being a trombonist in my time, LOVE Mahler brass. Anyway, the concert was AMAZING and we were in a private box with sandwiches, water, juice and CHAMPAIGN! I have never felt so regal in all my life. Thanks Zee’s parents!

After the concert I was off to Chalk Farm to meet up with Keating (Jay’s housemate) to crash at his uncle’s house in a swanky neighbourhood up north. The next morning after meeting uncle Duncan and cousin Beth we were off to the Chelsea-Bolton game. What can I say about the atmosphere? It was FABULOUS! As soon as we got off the tube it was all jerseys and chanting and crazy energy. We had a couple of pints and were amazed by the volume of the chants coming from each pub. It was like a bus on the way to an eng conference.

The game was amazing! The crowds cheered from start to finish and there were some great plays. Thanks to Keatings ‘camera of destiny’ the game tied and that was pretty much the end of Chelsea’s bid for the championship. The crowds seemed saddened but the party went on. After a couple more pints we headed home and I made my way back to Woking to unpack and settle in.
Now I am watching old Grey’s Anatomys and doing some more work. I can’t believe I have been here for two weeks. Three more weeks and we are off to Sierra Leone. From what Nana has told us it should be an amazing place! For all of those who are worried I did learn that Plan is very well respected in SLE as many of the people in power now were once Plan children and so we will have diplomatic status when we are there. :) Also, our flat is across from the first response emergency station.

No comments: