Wednesday, April 18, 2007

April 18 - The town of Woking

One thing is for sure, this team is full of women with big personalities. I am not sure the two men were glad to see me arrive but at least Conor (my ADP colleague) is here to balance things out. One of the men is arriving from Sierra Leone on Tuesday to run a session. Conor and I will get to go to London with Nana and get our SLE visas while he gets his India visa for his visit in three weeks. Very exciting.

I took a few photos of town on my way home last night. The first is of the 'Martian' in the town centre. Woking was the original setting for HG Wells' War of the Worlds and they are very proud of it. The second is the gates that lead into the town centre. If you look closely you can see Comedy and Tragedy on the centre handles.

I also took a photo of the building that houses our office. One of the things you learn quickly here is that nothing has a street #. Everything just has a name. The office is called Chobham House and is right in the centre of the city and about a three minute walk from my current home which is great. All the shops in town close at 5 which is a bit annoying but the pubs seem to be open until midnight which is good.

On my run this morning I headed into the 'suburban' neighbourhood which was lovely. Tomorrow I am going to go and find my B&B so that I know where to go when I move on Saturday. It has definitely been nice to have a flat to come home too and I am sure the B&B will be interesting. Marte who is on our team and lives in Oslo warned me about the Woking B&Bs today. Oh joy!

Also planned today to go and watch the London Marathon on Sunday with my old friend Carolyn Hobbs. Turns out another friend is running it so we are going to cheer Alex Tanara (Rancourt) on. Total blast from the past and I can't wait. I also found out that Monique Bergeron is going to be doing a year of her clinical studies here in London starting in August so when I get back from my tour I should be able to meet up with her which is terrific.

Oh and on an unrelated note it appears that Subway here has nearly the same daily specials as at home so I headed there for a Turkey Tuesday for 1.99GBPs only to find the WORST service ever! And yes Tara...I am sure they were slower than you ever were. So much for that idea. Off to Sainsburys for me.

One more unrelated note: I have discovered the joy of Skype. If you don't have it and you want to make long distance calls to anyone I strongly suggest it. I spoke to Jay last night and a team member in Kenya today. I am going to Skype Mom and Dad in a few minutes too. It's all free and the sound quality is quite good even to Kenya!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Traini, Glad to hear that things are going well over there! Keep up the bloggin' :)