Tuesday, July 31, 2007

August 1 - Settling in in Nairobi

Jambo!

Well it's my thrid day in Nairobi and I am starting to feel at home. Maybe it's the rain reminding me of SLE and London or maybe it's the sense of familiarity I have with the office but the adjustement to Kenya has moved much faster then Freetown or even Woking.

It's my second day in the office and I have taken a few photos but forgot my download cord so they'll have to wait until tomorrow. The office is a huge house with full garden. It's lovely and homely and the people are terrific and super friendly (and not just because I brought them chocolate!). I am working in the Country Director's office (the big boss) as she is away for the month. Hopefully I'll get to meet her on the one day we are both here. The office is lovely with a huge table, desk and balcony that overlooks the garden. Nicer than any office I have ever worked in at home. .

Yesterday for lunch Khalila (my ChildData colleague) took me to the mall. Imagine my shock when it looked like something out of southern california! I didn't take photos but will when we go back which we will because we went to Nairobi Java House and I had the BEST coffee EVER! I will definitley grab some beans there when I leave. Hopefully I'll be able to find a coffee maker in Mumbai. We had a great lunch and a really good chat. I am glad I get to spend this week one on one with her. She's a super smart woman and her insight is fabulous!

Was up until 1am reviewing training documents so am super tired today. It's grey and rainy so that doesn't help. Perhaps another trip to the Java house will be in order! I am supposed to have lunch with the office staff today to experience their daily lunch ritual. I can't wait! I sort of miss Mosu's cooking! (dont tell Conor)

More from me...and photos later.

Happy Birthday to Martha! Can't wait to see you and the crew next week a the airport even if it will be 6am!!! Enjoy your day lady!

No comments: