Friday, August 24, 2007

August 25 - One more sleep until India

I can't believe it either. Tomorrow is my last 'trip to a new place of work' for my ADP journey. We head out to Mumbai at 8pm tomorrow. I am super excited. It is interesting that I have become much less nervous about changing places. Heading to Woking was scary (away from home for 9 months...yikes), heading to SLE is terrifying (what the heck is Africa really like? why do people keep touching my arm in fear when I say I am going to Freetown?) and coming to Nairobi by myself was jittery but more exciting than scary. For India I am just excited. Perhaps I am starting to look forward to the end of this crazy assignment.

I was saying to someone yesterday that I am VERY excited to eventually be home (I know, stay in the moment and enjoy...trust me I am) and I think that by December my head may explode with excitement!


Anyway, my last week in Nairobi was great. Here are a few more safari photos (thanks Martha) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=46865&l=40b9c&id=713560547and I promise a write up asap. I am swamped with work in preparation for our big test phase coming up in two weeks so have to dedicate myself to that for a bit but I'll get to it, I promise.


Wednesday night I returned to Carnivore (the famous Nairobi all-you-can-eat hotspot) for the second time this week with my team. I again enjoyed the Ostritch meat balls and we managed to dance the night away in the club next door until 2am. Man I had a hard time getting up the next morning. Not as spry as I used to be.


Thursday I met my friends Zoe and Chris at the Thorn Tree cafe (sorry, didn't have my camera so no photo). They have been traveling across africa from Zambia for three months camping and hiking their way through numerous countries and climbing africa's peaks. Their blog is AMAZING so check it out. http://www.zoechrisafricantravels.blogspot.com/


Today Conor, Khalila and I are off for one last market run in the sunshine. The weather here has significantly improved since I got back from vacation and I even got a bit of a burn on my arms during a meeting with my DBA in the garden yesterday. BTW if there is anyone out there with .NET skills who wants to move to Tanzania (which is stellar) let me know and I'll hook you up with Hans.


Okay, it's saturday and I have tonnes of work to get through before we leave tomorrow so must go. Have a fabulous weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tina,
Great to see you in Nairobi at the Thorn Tree Cafe, the famous travelers meeting point! It was really nice to see a familiar face after months on the road and fun to exchange all our African travel stories.
Hope you have a great time in India, it should be an excellent experience.
See you back in the pool in Ottawa Jan. next year.