Wednesday, June 6, 2007

June 6 – A bit more about Sierra Leone/Freetown

Thanks to all you folks who have given me suggestions about what to write on my blog. I hope to get to all your great ideas but I think I’ll start BIG with a bit more about the country I am in, in general.

Sierra Leone is located on the west coast of Africa close to the equator. The country has a population of just over 6 Million who suffer from extreme poverty. The most significant factor contributing to economic conditions was the long civil war, which lasted for a 10 years - only ending in 2001, when a UN peacekeeping mission was mandated. Since 2001 the country has been relatively stable and efforts to improve life here have been made, assisted most significantly by the international community with grants (like those from Plan) and debt reduction programs. Many NGOs (non-governmental organizations) pulled out of Sierra Leone during the conflicts but, from what I have seen driving around this city, they have all returned (CARE, Save the Children, ActionAid, etc)

Sierra Leone is an extremely poor African nation, with economic conditions characterized by tremendous inequality in income distribution. While it possesses substantial mineral, agricultural and fishery resources, its economic and social infrastructure is not well developed. Serious social disorders continue to hamper economic development. The fate of the economy depends upon the maintenance of domestic peace and the continued receipt of substantial aid from abroad, which is essential to offset the severe trade imbalance and supplement government revenues. The IMF (International Monetary Fund) has completed a Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility program that helped stabilize economic growth and reduce inflation. A recent increase in political stability has led to a revival of economic activity, such as the rehabilitation of bauxite mining.Some key comparative facts emphasize the current situation to give you a look at Africa-to-Africa and Sierra Leone-to-Canada.

All that ‘high-level’ stuff is great but what do I see here in Freetown. One has to remember that Freetown is the capital and by far the largest and most infrastructure-rich city in this country. The layout of the city is far from that of a normal city and even far from most capitals in Africa. There are some large buildings which are mostly UN, US or UK built. There is a football stadium and grocery stores, restaurants and bars but these are few and far between. Much of the trade occurs from small huts on the side of the road and hand to hand between the people. There is no mall, there are no stoplights, streetlights or sidewalks. None of the comforts of home really but this is developed SLE.

The people here (who I will talk about more in a subsequent post) seem happy. They are much better dressed and have much more style than I thought. They maintain clean appearances, they drive okay cars and they are very friendly. Not what you would expect from a country so ravaged by war so recently in the past. The soldiers of war live amongst the people now having dropped their weapons and re-assimilated. There are rarely violent incidents except when thievery is suspected. They take their possessions very seriously.

People ask me if it is dangerous in Sierra Leone. The plain answer is that there are dangers that are rather different than those in first world countries like Canada and great care and awareness are necessary. Health care in Sierra Leone is poor and social issues need to be understood. I have a very reasonable standard of living, clean water and have an opportunity for a healthy diet. I am very well taken care of by both Plan and my ex-pat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate) friends who are always willing to give you guidance and a lift home.


Living and working in the developing world, where conditions may be fairly basic, definitely demands a certain level of physical and psychological fitness and health is clearly of high importance. For those of you who witnessed my preparation for this trip I had 13 shots for everything from rabies to yellow fever and happily take a pill each day to prevent malaria (these pills have done crazy things to my dreams too!). After my illness on Sunday Nana has threatened several times to take me to the hospital for a malaria test and I know he is watching me closely for signs and will haul me there if I look to be at risk.Certainly personal safety is a concern but risks seem to be very manageable.

The people have been nothing but honest and I prepared well by not really bringing anything I worry about losing. I protect my passport, laptop and money well and follow my instinct always. In fact sometimes looking around I wonder why anyone would want to rob me considering how much more put-together the Sierra Leonians and some of my new friends seem. I appear simple and I think that helps me out.


I hope this helped you get a better idea of where I am and the social setting. Keep the questions coming!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post Traini... reminds me of my short time in South America. It is so very different, but I didn't miss the malls at all :)

Huddles said...

Thanks for all that info, Tina! Helps a lot.