Monday, September 3, 2007

September 3 - And the whole team arrived

Hello from the office in Mumbai!

It's been an eventful weekend. Unfortunately I haven't downloaded the photos but will try to do that tonight. Since I last wrote I have moved homes twice, spent a ridiculously small amount of money on a ridiculously large amount of shoes and killed an enormous amount of cockroaches!

The whole team has arrived (except Susan and Nana who will arrive on Sunday) so we are a big group here in Mumbai. We are all living at the 'Royal Palms' which we like to call 'a dumpster in the middle of nowhere'. Seriously, I would send you the web link but it's so far from reality is funny. The place will be great when/if it's finished but right now it's half finised buildings with no amenities to speak of in the middle of nowhere. I am living in a roach infested 19th floor two bedroom apartment that they are apparently spraying as I type to kill the bugs. We'll see about that when I get home. Oh, I know I'll survive and it has become quite comical to be honest. I am staying with my teammate Khalila who is definitely more upset than I so I am focused on calming her down and killing bugs before she sees them....a little mission of mine.

Enough about that. Conor and I headed into the downtown core on Saturday to see the sights. We visited the Gates of India and were going to take a tourist walk that was noted in my Mumbai book but ended up making it to only one street Colaba, and spending most of our day there. I went into the most glorious shoe shop and after about an hour of trying on sparkly lovlies walked out with four gorgeous pairs of shoes for about $80. Later on I followed a vendor into his back alley shop and bought a few pashminas ranging from 3-7 dollars. Did I mention I love this city for it's prices?

We had lunch at a legendary cafe calle Leopolds and ate like kings for about $3 a piece. In the afternoon we went to Reid and Taylor and got measured up for tailor-made suits which we have to go back for a fitting for on the weekend...woohooo! I'll post photos of the events tomorrow.

Spent sunday moving into my now hopefully bug-free flat and doing work (oh yes, there is a lot of work to be done here!) and visited the luxury hotel on the top of the hill in our complex. It was lovely with three restaurants, gym, spa, two pools and general hotel loveliness. I just sat in the lobby and read until dinner. I think we'll have to head there for dinner one night to check it out.

Today we got down to work. The software developer has delivered the final pieces of code so the testing bonanza has begun. Those of you who know me from work know that this is where 'I'm a viking' so I am raring to go. Yay comfort zone!

Another fun note...today I had hand delivered a postcard from Christie's trip to Norway that has reached me via Kenya. Talk about world mail! So fun.

Okay it's time to head out to the mall for some more supplies (perhaps some bug spray?) and food. I'll do my best to post photos tomorrow.

I hope you all had a wicked long weekend and that all of you teacher-types enjoy your days back at school!

Somebody asked me what I miss most...today I thought about driving...I miss driving ...especially on the RIGHT side of the road. :-)

3 comments:

Christie said...

Hhmmm... interesting. If I had to make a bet, I would be guessing that the "Royal Palms" photos on the website were not even taken in India from what you are describing versus what they show. Interesting marketing plan...

Glad the bugs aren't bothering you too much! Crazy to think how far you've come since last spring!

Missing you!

Christie said...

and SO HAPPY that the postcard got to you!

Unknown said...

Traini, as I asked Meg, what's with you ladies and shoes in developing nations??