Tuesday, June 12, 2007

June 11 – Babies and Another Hash!

Another Monday….woohooo. Only three more before my departure which is bitter-sweet. Today Moosue brought the receptionist’s grandson to our shed to visit. Issac was a cutie pie but he definitely didn’t like Conor. In an attempt to change my flight home to a week and a bit earlier as requested, Nana and I headed to downtown Freetown to the BA office.

I wish I had brought my camera because downtown in the middle of the afternoon was chaos. So much to see. People selling everything from flip flops to stationary and car parts to Persian rugs. The streets were full of people going about their business to and fro. We managed to find a spot to park, well maybe not a spot but an area that wasn’t already in use and headed to the BA office. Let’s just say the visit wasn’t fruitful and we’ll have to visit again to get the ticket changed.

After work we headed to King Harmon and the old Railway for our third hash. The run was good and VERY hilly. We even got to cross a bridge I had only seen from the road high above. Hashing is a fabulous way to see a place. We ran through all kinds of yards and roads and even saw the cutest little puppy along the way. We even got free Freetown Hasher t-shirts. My first SLE souvenir!
Tired and sweaty we headed home. Quick stop at the supermarket for some instant oatmeal (which turned out to be pretty decent) and home to bed.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

What's hashing?
I know it means chopping up potatoes or tomatoes or something like that but I don't think that is what you mean. :)

Tina Traini said...

Basically it's a running group that goes on a different trail each week that is marked by 'hashes' of paper (slivers) and you have to find your way around.

I simply follow the crowd. It's a fun way to see the area (we run all over the place including through businesses and yards and playing fields) and to meet some folks both local and ex-pat.

Oh and they have a funny ceremony after which was amusing the first time but is getting a bit old now. It is also great exercise as this place is all uphill...seriously!