Friday, May 25, 2007

May 21 - Arrival in Freetown!

After a weekend of avoiding packing (just ask Martha and Laura) I managed to shove everything I think I needed into one suitcase (same suitcase I took for a week in DR…odd). I managed to make it under the weight restriction @ 32kg. whew. So far the only thing I can see I forgot was a beach towel but I am sure I can get one here.

The flight was supposed to leave at 1:30 but we were delayed by the evacuation of a deportee who was saved at the last minute by his sister. Strange situation including a lot of yelling at the back of the plane. :-$ We left an hour late and were told we needed to stop in Malaga Spain to refuel to face strong headwinds in north Africa. So now if you could touchdowns I have been to Spain…it looked beautiful. I’ll have to go and actually get off the plane!

We made our way to Dakar but by then it was dark so I didn’t see much. The airport looked HUGE though (at least compared to SLE). I managed to sleep most of the way and watched Music and Lyrics which was cute. I can’t believe I was on a plane for nearly 10 hours and only saw one movie…BA…hum…

About 1 am we arrived at Lumley airport which is located on a peninsula just outside of Freetown. Immigration was a synch and I was already seeing that Plan was a respected name in this country as we were wisked through customs and our helper Mohammed arranged everything for the helicopter ride. There were probably 50 locals there to meet the plane and every single one was eager to help with each step of the journey which at that point of the night was nice to see.

We pilled onto the helicopter with 20 or so fellow passengers and our entire luggage collection. I have never been on a helicopter before but this one seemed HUGE. I think they are ex-military fliers. The unfortunate thing was that it was completely dark so we couldn’t see anything as we flew in. I also think my departing flight is in the middle of the night so I may lose the perspective from the chopper. Too bad.

We were greeting on the other side of the bay by Daniel, our driver. He looked fairly happy considering we had kept him up until 2am. We loaded up the luggage into the Plan truck and were off. He took us to our flat (more about that below) where we slumped off to sweaty sleep happy to have arrived but growing homesick already.

No comments: